The world’s largest and richest intercollegiate student startup competition
Hosted and organized by the Rice Alliance for Technology and Entrepreneurship, which is Rice University’s internationally-recognized initiative devoted to the support of entrepreneurship, and Rice Business, the Rice Business Plan Competition offers an educational program mirroring real-world experience through this multi-day event for student startups from across the world.
Student founders pitch to investors, receive feedback and advance their startup. There is also significant time designated for interaction with our judges and prize sponsors—providing valuable access and experience with both early-stage and later-stage investors.
With access to mentors, real-world experience and investment opportunities, the Rice Business Plan Competition helps student founders stay on target and realize their potential. Since inception in 2011, it has grown from nine teams competing for $10,000 in prize money to 42 teams from around the world competing for more than $1.5 million in cash and prizes.
You are initially eligible if your startup:
- is student-driven, student-created and/or student-managed
- has at least two current student founders or management team members, and at least one of those students is a current graduate degree-seeking student
- are from a college or university anywhere in the world
- has not raised more than $250,000 in equity capital prior to July 1, 2021
- has not generated revenue of more than $100,000 in any 12-month period prior to July 1, 2021
- is seeking funding or capital (or will be in the next 12 months)
- is a potentially viable investment opportunity
If you can answer all those questions with “Yes,” then your startup appears eligible! Please read the full details on eligibility and what we will be looking for an application—this will help you submit the best application possible!
Applications are open November 1, 2021 through Monday, January 31, 2022 at 11:59 PM CST.