Applications for Accelerator Cohort 2022-23 will open in August 2022. Stay tuned for more information!
Calling all social innovators of Baltimore!
The Social Innovation Lab (SIL) at Johns Hopkins University accelerates emerging ventures and leaders that seek to change Baltimore and the world. SIL provides funding, advising and mentorship, training, technical assistance, office space, and network access to help these innovative mission-driven companies and disruptive technologies develop into thriving, sustainable ventures that make a measurable impact.
Since 2011, SIL has supported 113 ventures including B-360 Baltimore, ClearMask, Dyslexia Advocation, Inc., Fight Blight Bmore, Happy Teacher Revolution, Infinite Focus Schools, Intelehealth, Mera Kitchen Collective, Mindstand Technologies, MOMCares, Parity, PIVOT Baltimore, SpreadKarma, The Portable Alternative Crib Initiative, Urban Pastoral, and WeGo Foundation.
View our Impact Reports to learn more about these ventures.
Who should apply
SIL seeks driven, thoughtful applicants who are:
- Deliberate in developing a potential solution rooted in personal
experience or extensive research
- Willing to exert extraordinary dedication to make the potential solution a reality
- Enthusiastic about joining a learning community and sharing resources and open-minded in their approach
- Working towards a solution with a stated social or environmental impact.
- Applications may be submitted for ventures that are in the prototype/pilot phase (for at least six months) or already launched and operating. Ventures should be able to demonstrate accomplishments, traction, or impact.
- Entrepreneurs should be currently based in, focusing on, or intending to engage/form partnerships in the greater Baltimore area.
- Applications are welcome from Johns Hopkins students, staff, and faculty, as well as non-affiliates of Johns Hopkins University.
- Ventures may be non-profit, for-profit, or not yet incorporated.
- We welcome and encourage applications from diverse and traditionally underrepresented founders.
- Applicants should be able to attend all sessions (at least one team member with decision making authority in the organization should be present). There will be a combination of weekly virtual sessions on Wednesday evenings from 5-7:30 p.m. and monthly in-person sessions on Saturdays, which will take place in Baltimore. A networking session and final Showcase event will also be held in-person.
How to Apply
Quick overview of the steps you take to apply.
Step 1: Submit name & email address
Register and create your account to receive a personalized application link via email. This link allows you to edit and save your application.
Step 2: Prepare online application
Fill out your application. Click below to review questions and instructions.
Step 3: Prepare video submission
Applicants also need to send a 2-minute video about their startup. Click below for video submission details and instructions.
Step 4: Complete & submit application
Once your online application is submitted and video link is sent, you are done! Have questions along the way? Contact the SIL Program Director.
EVALUATION OF APPLICANTS
- The leadership abilities of the applicant
- The venture’s boldness, originality, and potential for impact as well as accomplishments to-date, feasibility, and potential for sustainability
- Fit with SIL resources and offerings
APPLICATION AND PROGRAM TIMELINES
- Applications Open: August 24-October 2, 2022.
- Finalist Interviews: Virtual interviews will take place during the third week of October 2022.
- Finalists are notified if they have or have not been accepted the cohort: Week of October 24th.
- Program Timeline: November 5, 2022 – May 3, 2023.
SIL Program Overview
A snapshot of the services and resources offered for SIL entrepreneurs.
$1,000 stipend for all accepted companies. $25k cohort prize awarded at program completion. Additional funding opportunities may be announced.
mentorship & networking
Introductions to network of mentors and advisors.
Direct support from SIL Director throughout the cohort experience.
Pro bono tax, accounting, legal, and banking services through FastForward.
Plug into JHU-wide opportunities
Engage with opportunities for social entrepreneurs and community ventures across JHU.
Sessions led by experienced entrepreneurs and social sector leaders.
SIL's annual culminating event provides the opportunity to showcase ventures to large audiences.
Office and meeting space at FastForward U in Remington.
Continued support from the JHU community, SIL mentors, and ecosystem partners.