Calling all social innovators of Baltimore!
Apply to develop your venture as part of the 2020-21 Social Innovation Lab cohort.
The Social Innovation Lab (SIL) at Johns Hopkins University accelerates emerging ventures and leaders that seek to change Baltimore and the world. By providing funding, mentorship, and workshops, SIL helps innovative nonprofits, mission-driven companies, and disruptive technologies grow into thriving, sustainable ventures that make a measurable impact.
Since 2011, SIL has supported 93 ventures including The Portable Alternative Crib Initiative, Urban Pastoral, Baltimore Teacher Supply Swap, Mera Kitchen Collective, ClearMask, and Parity. View our 2019 and 2020 Impact Reports to learn more.
Who should apply
SIL seeks driven, thoughtful applicants who are:
- Deliberate in developing a potential solution rooted in personal
experience or extensive research
- Willing to exert extraordinary dedication to make the potential solution a reality
- Enthusiastic about joining a learning community and sharing resources and open-minded in their approach
- Applicants must be a resident of the greater Baltimore area or a Johns Hopkins University student, faculty, or staff member
- Applications may be submitted for ventures that are in the prototype/pilot phase or already launched and operating
- Ventures are required to be beyond the idea stage and must be able to demonstrate accomplishments, traction, or impact
- Ventures may be non-profit, for-profit, or not yet incorporated
How to Apply
Quick overview of the three steps you take to apply.
Step 1: Submit name & email address
Register and create your account to receive a personalized application link via email. This link allows you to edit and save your application.
Step 2: Prepare application
Fill out your application. To view questions in advance, review the sample application below.
Step 3: Complete & submit application
Questions along the way? Contact Madison Marks, SIL Director
EVALUATION OF APPLICANTS
- The leadership abilities of the applicant
- The venture’s boldness, originality, and potential for impact as well as accomplishments to-date, feasibility, and potential for sustainability
- Fit with SIL resources and offerings
APPLICATION AND PROGRAM TIMELINES
- Application deadline: October 25, 2020
- Applicants are notified if they have or have not been invited to the interview round: November 6
- Applicant interviews: Second week of November
- Finalists are notified if they have or have not been accepted into the SIL 2020-21 cohort: November 20
- Program timeline: Early December 2020-April 28, 2020 (Note: Specific dates to be announced soon)
SIL Program Overview
A snapshot of the services and resources offered for SIL entrepreneurs.
$1,000 stipend for all accepted companies. $25k cohort prize awarded at program completion. Additional funding opportunities may be announced.
mentorship & networking
Dedicated mentors and an extensive network of advisers.
Direct support from SIL Director throughout the cohort experience.
Pro bono tax, accounting, legal, and banking servces through FastForward.
Organizational strategy tactics from the JHU Carey Business School.
Sessions led by experienced entrepreneurs and social sector leaders.
SIL's Impact Forum provides the opportunity to showcase ventures to large audiences.
Office and meeting space (access pending JHU guidelines for COVID-19).
Continued support from the JHU community, SIL mentors, and ecosystem partners.