FastForward U’s accelerator programming is an opportunity for student teams from across the University to work collaboratively to make progress on their ventures. These engaging, cross-disciplinary initiatives build skills, grow networks, and connect founders with other entrepreneurial students, from undergrads to post-docs.
Teams are grouped by stage to allow students to learn together at a pace that makes sense for where they are on their entrepreneurial journey. Spark and Fuel tracks include a stipend and the chance to win additional funds at Demo Days.
All of our accelerators are industry agnostic; any kind of venture (including nonprofits) are eligible to apply. We welcome any committed JHU student founder or team, from undergraduate to post-doc, to engage with our opportunities!
Learn more about each track below:
- Early-stage track for teams (or solo entrepreneurs!) to explore and validate their ideas.
- Asynchronous online curriculum focuses on early venture basics, market research, customer discovery, and more.
- Live, weekly MasterMind check-ins for brainstorming and feedback hour.
- Teams who complete the experience are eligible for a $500 grant stipend and up to $2,000 in additional prize money at the end of the semester Showcase.
- Successfully completing Spark makes many teams ready for Fuel.
- Later-stage track designed to help committed ventures get market/investor ready.
- Focuses on customer acquisition, marketing development, entrepreneurial finance, investor readiness, team-building, and more via customized attention (workshops, 1:1 mentorship, and more).
- Weekly cohort meetings throughout the semester with special guests (founders, VC, JHTV staff, and more).
- Highly customized mentorship throughout the experience–includes peer, staff, alumni, and industry connections as part of the program.
- Teams who complete the experience are eligible for a $5,000 grant stipend and up to $12,000 in additional prize money at the end-of-semester Demo Day.
- Successfully completing Fuel may help prepare teams for I&E Challenge Funding, the President’s Venture Fellowship, and/or other accelerators.
May 22-July 3: A six-week, co-working experience for student ventures ready to take a “deep dive” into building their startups. Student teams at any stage of development are invited to apply; program participants will be expected to work at least 20 hours a week at the FastForward U building while engaging in significant mentorship and networking opportunities. Supported with a non-dilutive grant for living expenses and startup support.
THE SOCIAL INNOVATION LAB ACCELERATOR (re-opens fall ’24)
In addition to FastForward U’s Spark and Fuel accelerators, JHTV offers an accelerator through its Social Innovation Lab (SIL) for mission-driven startups working towards a solution with a stated social or environmental impact.
- Open to early-stage ventures with demonstrated traction (for-profit and non-profit).
- Ventures work in a cohort structure with other Johns Hopkins University and Baltimore-area entrepreneurs.
- Focuses on customer discovery, financial literacy and fundraising, impact measurement, storytelling, and more.
- Provides access to a wide network of mentors, advisors, partners, and funders in Baltimore and beyond.
- Teams who complete the experience are eligible for a $5,000 grant stipend and offers the opportunity to win a $15,000 cohort prize.