Initiate MTA or NDA

Initiate MTA or NDA

Initiate NDA/CDA | Initiate MTA | Johns Hopkins receiving material | Johns Hopkins sending material | Step-by-step MTA How-To Guide | Office of Research Administration resources


JHTV is committed to providing excellent service and acting in the best interest of Johns Hopkins investigators by facilitating non-disclosure agreement (NDA) and material transfer agreement (MTA) requests.

Within two business days of submitting an NDA or MTA, you will receive an email that contains the contact information of your assigned contracts associate.

Questions? Connect with our Contracts Group or call 410-502-6146.


Initiate NDA/CDA

Before sharing proprietary or confidential information with an investor, industry representative or other entity, we recommend researchers have a non-disclosure agreement (NDA). This document, also known as a confidential disclosure agreement (CDA) or secrecy agreement, specifies how recipients will protect and use the confidential information.

NDAs can be unilateral (one party disclosing confidential information) or mutual/multilateral, meaning they cover confidential information disclosed by more than one party.

Note: JHTV only processes NDAs for potential licensing and collaborative or sponsored research opportunities related to technologies disclosed to JHTV.


Initiate MTA

A material transfer agreement (MTA) sets the conditions of transfer and use of tangible research materials—including biological materials, chemicals and software—between two parties for the recipient’s own independent research purposes.

By setting these conditions, the MTA protects proprietary interest in the material and restricts distribution. The MTA also requires recipients to assume liability that may arise from use of the material.

Questions? Email

Note: JHTV reviews MTAs that cover a wide variety of, but not all, materials. If your research or materials fall under any of the following three categories, you will need to collaborate with the appropriate Office of Research Administration (ORA). Please submit your MTA to the ORA if it is:

  • A sponsor-controlled research study
  • A funded or unfunded collaborative study between Johns Hopkins and the provider of the materials
  • For research involving patients or protected health information, clinical testing or procedures or drug/device testing in humans or any planning/lab/clinical service in support of such clinical research


If your MTA involves one of the above, navigate to our Research Administration Resources.

Johns Hopkins receiving material

Johns Hopkins investigators who receive material from an external entity may receive an MTA from the providing investigator or institution.

To submit this type of agreement, complete the Inbound MTA Expediting Form.


Johns Hopkins sending material

Johns Hopkins investigators who wish to send materials to a third party should complete the Outbound MTA Expediting Form.


If the material is a human tissue sample collected at Johns Hopkins, including associated data or immortalized cell lines derived from human tissue samples, PLEASE ALSO COMPLETE the Biospecimen Transfer Information (BTI) Sheet and email it to


Office of Research Administration (ORA)

Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
Bloomberg School of Public Health
Johns Hopkins University
JHU – Research Administration
JHU – Institute for Clinical & Translational Research